Saturday, 2 August 2014

July was red in the RSC

The last July block was kaleidoscope. Isn't it super?

Kaleidoscope - oversized!

Unfortunately the unfinished block measured 7" square instead of 6.5".
I used the paper-piecing pattern at Sew Mama Sew, and even checked the paper before I started piecing. So what went wrong?  The checking square on the pattern sheet was exactly right, and I measured the edge of the block when finished: 6". BUT  I used my 12.5" square ruler and must have been measuring from the WRONG SIDE! Ugh! I tried cutting back, but because it's paper pieced it's exactly right and taking off 1/4" all round meant I'd be cutting through on the points. 

Now I have an orphan block, 6.75" square with 0.125" seam allowance and a self-draughted pattern following Angela's instructions. I still have to start sewing it. It's a pity I cut away the seam allowance before I realised it wasn't going to help because I like the cushion cover pattern on Sew mama Sew, and this could have been my first block. Aah! ...live and learn!

Monday It's my turn on the Round the World Blog Hop so be sure to check here from Sunday evening.

Linking up to:

Soscrppy

Nip over there and see what others have been doing this last week.

Happy Sewing

Marly.



18 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic! What a shame it isn't the size you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never mind. You will find a use for it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made a few blocks following instructions only to find they're the wrong size. Love the fabrics you selected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why don't you try making another seam further in on the 4 corner triangles. This will bring it in....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did a similar thing this week. So easy to do! It is a great block, worth making again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a bummer that the pattern didn't turn out the right size. I've always had that problem with paper piecing patterns from online. Love the block though, I'm sure it will find a great home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful job on the block. I've got a box of orphan extra blocks, oops blocks, not quite right blocks. I either give them away or sew them into a scrappy quilt's pieced backing. They eventually find a home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel your pain...been there...done that. I love the fabric combination. And thanks for the link to that pillow cover. I think I'll be making one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no.... it looks beautiful as is. Maybe you could put that in the middle and make it a round robin quilt with borders all around?

    ReplyDelete
  10. q bonito bloque en rojo
    y tambien tengo bloques huerfanos, q algun dia ocuparé...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh, I hate it when I do that! I have two homeless little sailboats that were too small. And a couple sampler blocks when I gave up on the sampler. Like Sheila said - they'll find a home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had the same problem with the Sew Mama Sew pattern! I haven't decided how I'm going to deal with it - I can figure that out when I go to assemble my sampler quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry it didn't measure out right, it turned out beautifully! Hopefully you can find a fun place to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely block! I'm sure you'll find a use for it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That has happened to me when I Tried to make Farmer's Wife blocks....you'll find it a new home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That has happened to me when I Tried to make Farmer's Wife blocks....you'll find it a new home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just did exactly the same thing with a 15 " ruler. This beautiful block won't be an orphan for long.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog.
I'd love to read your comments and will reply by email, unless you're a "no-reply" blogger (an issue with Google+), when I'll post a reply here.
I moderate all comments before publishing and comments from anonymous bloggers will not be published.