Saturday 25 July 2015

A new technique: silk ribbon embroidery

This month I started my first ever Crazy Quilting project as part of the free on-line Basic Crazy Quilting Course run by Kathy Shaw. (I blogged about it briefly last week and although registration for this course is closed, registration for the next one will probably be starting this week.)


Crazy Quilting Project: quilting cotton fabric on a muslin foundation, embroidered with DMC split cotton and silk ribbon.
 So what's new?

Well to start with I'd never done Crazy Quilting before this month. Until I saw my own efforts, I'd never even seen a piece of Crazy Quilting in reality, only in photos.

Secondly, although I've been embroidering for over half a century, I've never used a ring before. It's a definite advantage here as very few of the patchwork pieces have been cut on the grain, and the danger of stretching the fabric is high, especially when working with ribbon. It does take getting used to, especially as it slowed me down considerably.

Thirdly, while none of the thread embroidery stitches was new to me, my stitching of stem stitch and French knots has improved beyond recognition (probably because of Kathy's tuition and the ring ).

But the real FIRST came this week with silk ribbon embroidery.


Until I started this course I didn't know it existed; until this week I'd never even tried it! I'm very proud of my first two irises.

I practised a little on a scrap of muslin:
 
This was done without a ring, and you can see in the row of running stitches how the fabric puckered. You can't see how it stretched, but it did, as I exerted great effort to pull the needle with ribbon through it.

The next part of the project is more silk ribbon embroidery: embroidering roses. I'm so excited!

I'm linking up to
Celtic Thistle Stitches 
so go and see what new things others have tried this month.

Happy sewing

Marly.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Wat mooi Marly! Veel plezier met de rozen.

Marti said...

I'd be proud of that too, it looks great! Years ago I saw a lady work on her ribbon embroidery while we waited for our kids, and I always wanted to try it but never did. Now you have me wanting to learn again.

Christine B said...

Hello Marly! Your block is looking beautiful! I especially like your irises, they have been stitched so well! Have fun with the roses! :) x

Dasha said...

You are doing the same course Christine is? I always use a hoop for embroidery (if the piece of fabric is big enough). It gives a much better finish. I have made the sum total of one block of Crazy Quilting; sort of enjoyed it, but not enough to do it again. Yours looks really good. Lovely flowers.

Vireya said...

Beautiful irises! I know you were nervous about tackling the ribbon embroidery, but it looks brilliant.

Julierose said...

I've never done ribbon embroidery--just regular DMC stuff. Yours are so pretty and dimensional hugs, Julierose

Chantal said...

Wow! That's what you call a natural talent. For your first try, I find your stitches pretty even and just gorgeous! It just come naturally to you and you make it look easy. Great job Marly!! You have all the rights to be proud.

Gina said...

THis is gorgeous. I was going to sign up but I've too much on at the moment. Hopefully I'll catch the next one

Sandra :) said...

Your irises are gorgeous! Ribbon embroidery is such a lovely technique - I can't even do regular garden variety embroidery, let alone ribbon work - I'm in awe of people who do it and get such beautiful results :)

Celtic Thistle said...

So many News Marly! Your ribbon embroidery irises are lovely, I would never have guessed that you hadn't done this before :)
Thanks for linking up to New to Me too.