Saturday 17 October 2015

Brown October for RSC 15, and other colours

For this month's colour on the rainbow Scrap Challenge at Soscrappy Angela chose brown. I have practically no brown, and certainly not enough for a sampler block, or two. So ...

these are all my brown blocks to date!
Two 9-patches, 3"square
and here is the top row of my sampler quilt


Instead of brown I used lavender. One of the lavender blocks (the one on the left) I had already made in the "purple month", but after a bit of reworking the alternate block I'm calling it lavender and made this month's blocks in purple and lavender:

Kick in purple and Doris's star in lavender, both set in a sawtooth star.
I think I should have edited the colour balance on these photos, because the purple here is far too blue; the background blue is over-riding the red-purple.

Last week I received a package from Quiltmaker:

Quilty treats.

won in the Back to School quilt draw, and an email from Angela saying that an orange bundle was winging its way to me! And it's not even my birthday! Thank you Angela.

I've made no progress on the "Modern Maples".

Modern maples; pattern by Amanda Woodward-Jennings
After a journey to my LQS this week especially to buy Bella off-white for the backing, I returned with only some Aurifil 12 wt cotton and a book. They had run out of Bella off-white! I didn't have quite enough at home, and not enough light fabric for a patched backing that wouldn't show through onto the front. I think winter will be upon us before my autumn quilt is finished!

I'm using the 12 wt cotton  to hand-quilt my "Drawn Together" mini quilt:

Drawn Together; pattern Sarah Fielke
I must have been feeling rich this week, because I bought two new books: "A Quilter's Mixology" by Angela Pingel and "The Farmer's Wife 1930's Sampler Quilt". I can't think of  two more dissimilar books. The first after I saw Ruth Bourke's beautiful sewing machine cover and I've already fallen for the "Mod Garden Lap Quilt" as well as the "Ornamental Quilt" (Ruth's inspiration), although goodness knows when I'll be able to start making it!

The second book was the one I brought home from the LQS because I've signed up for their Farmer's Wife Club, and I will be following the online groups as well. I'm thinking of making the blocks completely in solids. Is anyone out there making these blocks? What sort of fabrics are you using?

I shall be linking up with 
RSC 15

so pop in over there and see those sampler blocks, and other things, in brown.

Happy Sewing

Marly.

24 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

It was a 'winning' week! :)

Enjoy your stitching this weekend...so many lovely blocks here.

Dasha said...

Well you have some browns in amongst those fabrics you won!
I do love the purple star blocks. They look terrific.

Katie Z. said...

What fun fabrics! I like your alteration to lavender too.

I've considered the farmer's wife quilt, but I'm not hooked yet. Yet. ;)

scraphappy said...

Your sampler blocks are coming along nicely. It is wonderful that you are making it work for you. I also bought two books this week. Farmer's Wife 1930s and Sunday morning quilts! I'm making my sampler in solids as well, the similarities continue.

Angie said...

Looks like you have had some fun fabric therapy - with more to come!

Cathy said...

The lavender was a nice substitute for brown. I've been working on the Farmer's Wife Sampler for years in 1930s fabrics so won't be trying out the 1930s book!

LA Paylor said...

It may not be your birthday but it's certainly a party!!! What terrific blocks you've been making, very inspirational. I saw Ruth's sewing machine cover and wanted to make it too. I look forward to your hand quilting with the 12 weight, to see how it does. I like that look a lot. LeeAnna

Quiltdivajulie said...

Glad you pulled in the alternate colors to enhance your limited browns . . . it turned cold here overnight, so suddenly the idea of brown seems warmer than it did last week!

PaulaB quilts said...

The lavender blocks look lovely, especially on the blue. A very nice choice.

Kate said...

Your lavender blocks look so pretty against that dark blue. Looking forward to seeing your sampler come together.

Magpie Sue said...

Wow, congratulations on your good fortune! Hopefully you won't have to wait too long for that white fabric to come back into the shop. Or maybe you can find it online. Everything is looking good from where I sit!

Gina said...

I love your sampler quilt row. I don't use alot of brown so would struggle if I was doing the scrap challenge. Congratulations on your win. I look forward to seeing what you make with the fabrics. I'm not doing the 1930's farmers wife but I do have the 1920's book so may get around to doing that one day. xxx

Nell's Quilts said...

Your top row for the quilt looks wonderful. Lavender instead of brown works. There was a wonderful Farmer's Wife quilt completed at the Quilt Show. It looked like so much fun to make. Enjoy your farmer's wife journey.

Vireya said...

All your blocks look wonderful. I don't know how to solve that "blue purple" thing with the camera, so if you ever want to do a post on that I'd be interested!

Lucky winner - that looks like a great prize. I have actually found a couple of places that sell Quiltmaker in the area I've moved to, which was nice because I'd never seen it in Australia before. I even bought that 100 blocks edition.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on your winning week. That is SEW much FUN!!!

Deb A said...

Your blocks are looking great. I found when I first started this challenge there were a few colors that I had nothing of (orange, yellow, brown) but have learned and added to the stash over the years. Love that last picture - very pretty block.

sunny said...

You had a good week! I started the original Farmer's Wife Quilt a few years ago, and need to get back to it. The next time you need brown, let me know - I have to much I don't know what to do with it all.

gayle said...

I love your sampler blocks so much! That quilt is going to be a stunner.
I've thought about starting a Farmer's Wife quilt as a way of fending off a Dear Jane. It *might* work...

Jennifer said...

what a lucky (and busy!) week for you! I'm getting ready to start putting together my RSC- but procrastinating on all those joining blocks...

Kathy's A Quilter said...

The lavender blocks are beautiful and a great substitute. Your quilt is going to quite spectacular.

Judy@Quilt Paradigm said...

The lavender and blue blocks are absolutely stunning! LOVE! And I am looking forward to seeing your hand quilting, that quilt is absolutely beautiful!

Christine B said...

Beautiful blocks Marly and congratulations on your win! Looking forward to your hand quiliting on your mini quilt! It is lovely! Christine x

the girlfriend gap said...

Everything is looking lovely : ) Love your exchange of lavender. YEA for sweet things in your mailbox!!!!! The heavens have showered you with blessings. God knows I love fabric. When I win something fabric related I always smile knowing every good and perfect gift is from Him : ) Happy day to you. Janita

Jo Ferguson said...

What a wonderful gift, to win. Lucky you. I adore your colour choices in for the sampler quilt. Your mini quilt is gorgeous and I love Modern Maples. I'm looking forward to seeing them both quilted.