Friday 12 August 2016

Crosscut mini finished

I took part in the Crosscut QAL hosted by Debbie of A Quilter's Table on Instagram a couple of weeks ago. I had actually finished last week, but due to modem problems I couldn't post on my blog.


I really enjoyed making this, so much so that one morning I was already sewing at 06:00hrs!
For more information on the technique and the QAL check Debbie's blog,  or Instagram, @aquilterstable.

Quilt statistics
23" x 23"
Fabric: from stash
Wadding: 100% cotton
Backing: IKEA "Numbers" curtain material (which I wouldn't use for a normal quilt, but this is a wall hanging)
Binding: 605 Dots by the Henley Studio for Makower
Quilted: on domestic machine with Aurifil 40 wt cotton, in off-white/cream (2309) and variegated orange (4657).

The latter didn't work so well as the long stretches of cream thread didn't contrast enough with the fabric or the other thread. Next time I'll check that variegated thread maintains enough contrast with the background fabric.

variegated thread starts orange just above the centre right and then peters out: in the same place twice!
I quilted with the walking foot in a wild irregular zig-zag pattern which is quite lost on this busy background fabric. However I used plain orange thread in the bobbin which is very much in evidence!


Live and learn!

I'm linking up to

http://tgiffriday.blogspot.nl/2016/08/tgiff-is-somewhere.htmlQuilting is more fun than Housework

so pop over there to see more finishes and scrappy fun.

Happy sewing

Marly.

9 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

I seem to use my walking foot for most of my quilting and use either straight or wavy lines - something simple. I too went for variegated threads where possible in the latest quilting and I like that it does blend in to the fabrics very nicely. Always have a hard time deciding on colour though!

Jayne said...

I really like your Crosscut quilt! It turned out great. Debbies QAL was so much fun! Your quilting works well with the design. I need to use some variegated thread, but first...I better get some!

Debbie said...

oh this turned out beautifully! So glad you enjoyed making it as much as I did - and awesome quilting! ;-)

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love the colors you chose! And the quilting works great with the design. Thanks for sharing at both TGIFF and Oh Scrap! It is a busy week at my blog :)

piecefulwendy said...

I really like these Crosscut quilts; I'm going to have to try one. Yours turned out very nicely! Wendy at piecefulthoughts@gmail.com

Lisa J. said...

It looks great Marly! You did a wonderful job with it.

Gina said...

Love how this has turned out

Sharon said...

Your Crosscut mini came out great! I like your colors. Good to know about the variegated threads - I'll keep that in mind when I pick some out.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Crosscut quilt turned out great! I participated, too, and really enjoyed the experience! Fun to see all the results!