This is my first finish for the
I am making three cushions for the chairs in my living room. I'm practising machine quilting techniques and experimenting with layout on a small scale.
The first cushion is finished and in use.
All three cushions will be 16" square and of off-white Bella Solid (I don't know name and number, I'm afraid) with 2.5" strips of anonymous modern prints I received in a giveaway last autumn.
I did FMQ in the print panels: a freehand design of flowers and leaves worked with Aurifil 40 cotton in pale pink. This was not such a good choice as it hardly shows against the busy fabric pattern.
For the off-white section I did matchstick quilting at 1/4" intervals using the 1/4" mark on the walking foot.which didn't produce a consistently accurate result. Here I again used Aurifil 40 thread, in off-white (2309), pale dusky pink (2564), pale blue (2846) and pale yellow (2123). The contrast between the threads is very subtle, but maybe you can distinguish two lines of yellow followed by four lines of blue in the photo below. The contrast is a bit too subtle, as it hardly shows.
Altogether I'm pleased with the result, even the subtle colour changes in the white section; more contrast would have detracted from the impact of the central panel.
I'm linking up with:
|at Quokka Quilts|