Friday 1 April 2016

More Quilty circles

Audrey at Quilty Folk started a project towards the end of last year to appliqué a circle onto a square each day. At the end of the year you have 365 (or, actually 366 this year) squares with a circle: Quilty 365.
I have, contrary to my own expectations, managed to stick to it for three months since I started on 1 January. I find it addictive, and my needle turn appliqué has improved no end!
Here are my March blocks:


The squares are all solid fabric and measure 4.5"; most of the circles measure 3" in diameter, but there are a couple of slightly larger circles on special days. It depends on how much time I have whether or not I piece the circle from scraps, some of which are really small.

circle 88: Monday 28 March 2016, made of the results of cutting mistakes of a very frustrating paper-pieced Farmer's Wife block which I posted about on Saturday. Every cloud has a silver lining!

I have now made 92 circles (that includes today's) and this quilt promises to be enormous!

You can still join in this project; there is no particular starting date. The only rule is to make 365 circle blocks in one year.

I'm linking up to 

Grab button for http://quiltyfolk.blogspot.com/

so click on the button and see more appliqué circles, some of which are really spectacular. Maybe you'll feel inspired to sew along with us.

Happy sewing
Marly

9 comments:

Lisa J. said...

These are beautiful circles. I am going to have to do this one day.

Maryse said...

Lovely circles! You're right, it's going to be a huge quilt.

Maryse said...

Good job keeping up with your circles, it looks lovely!

audrey said...

You're doing so well and the side effect is your applique is bound to improve! Love seeing the block made up of another blocks problems.:)

Christine B said...

Hello Marly! Your circles are looking fabulous... and how wonderful that you are improving your needleturn applique at the same time! Have a lovely weekend! Christine x

Marle said...

What a lovely combination of circles! I love this ne made of tiny pieces.

Angie said...

Gorgeous! I love that you are using colorful solids for your backgrounds.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Looks like you are having SEW much FUN with this project!!

Sandi said...

I also planned to start on January first, but didn't actually start until February 18! But I'm caught up to today. Loving the serenity of hand appliqué.

Love how you selvages that frustrating block!