Sunday 1 May 2016

Quilty 365 scrappy appliqué circles May link, April progress

Audrey at Quilty Folk issued a challenge last autumn to appliqué a circle onto a square each day. I joined in on 1 January and  made these blocks in April:

April's blocks in chronological order, starting with the short column on the left: 1, 2, 3 April.
making a total of 121 blocks to date.

All the squares measure 4.5 inches, and most of the circles 3 inches in diameter. Special days' circles are 3.75 inches and there are three: family birthdays on 6 and 8 April, and a public holiday (King's Day) on 27 April. The pieced circles are all made from scraps, but I have cut into a few new fat quarters this month to achieve enough variety. Two of the squares are prepared, but not sewn yet! I hope to manage to sew three today, and be up-to-date by the end of the day!

I have been thinking about the layout and at present favour something like this:

most of the circles from the first three months

a rainbow arrangement of the background colours, although the regimented straight lines need some mixing up in the final arrangement. It definitely needs tweaking before I start sewing them together.  The main trouble with this layout is that I have to find a way to include these:
about 15 squares in non-rainbow colours

I've also started sewing the circles cut from behind the appliqué patches onto a 4.5" wide strip and

intend including them in the final quilt.

I'm looking forward to seeing more layout ideas.

I'm linking to:


Click on the buttons to see more quilt blocks from scraps


 Enjoy your Sunday everyone, and have a good week!

Happy sewing
Marly.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely arrangement - I am quite partial to color wheel blending. I look forward to next month!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I really like all those colorful background squares you are using. I think it will be fun to work on the final layout. I think those odd blocks will fit in fine - just scatter them throughout.

Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

These are pretty circles. I like all the different backgrounds you have used. Enjoy playing with the layout ideas.

Kristi said...

I Love the rainbow ombre background for the circles! FABULOUS!

Maryse said...

What a fun arrangement, good idea, it looks fabulous!

Quilting Babcia said...

I do like your varied color backgrounds. And the wonderful variety of fabrics for your circles!

Vera said...

Oh I like color sorting! I also like seeing all those circles around the web :)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Perhaps the "these" circles could form a surround for your label on the quilt back? I do like your rainbow background arrangement idea.

Gisele said...

I love your colourful backgrounds for your circles, so fun to see everyone's different take on this project

audrey said...

Love all those colors! Looking good!

Kaja said...

I like your idea of a rainbow arrangement a lot - it's very effective.

Ruth said...

Really like your layout - this is looking so cool!