Sunday, 30 April 2017

Improv Chinese Coins: a finish: "Season of mists ..."



The AHIQ  invitation for the first quarter was to use Chinese coins as the basis of a quilt. They could be developed in any way we wanted as long as Chinese Coins were the starting point.


Ann gave links to some examples, which I found inspiring and which led to some left-over batik jelly roll strips being sewn together, without any definite plan. I then cut free-hand through  the whole thing intending to rotate one piece and then sew them together again. 

As there was an odd number of strips, after rotation the middle one stayed in the middle which didn't look good to me so I turned the pieces back to the original position to insert another strip of batik. Firstly I cut through the panels to make a branching structure. Sewing the inserts in the side panels was tricky: bias strips would have worked better, but I was using 2.5" jelly roll strips, so cutting on the bias was not an option. The vertical insert naturally went in much more easily. 

This was beginning to resemble a tree, or magma rising through the Earth's crust. I settled on a tree,


 with leaves:


The leaves in the photo above are double-sided and I sewed them down with a zig-zag stitch along the central nerve of the leaf. Others are single fabric and machine appliquéd directly onto the background with blanket stitch.

The 3-D effect of the leaves is clearer in this photo


  



Material: 
Top: assorted batik scraps
Wadding: pieced scraps of cotton wadding
Backing: pieced scraps
Thread: background Aurifil 40 wt.; leaves Aurifil 50 wt in colours matching the leaves.
Dimensions: 19" x 16.5"
I'm linking up to
AHIQ
Click on the button to see more improvised Chinese Coins.

Happy sewing

Marly.

11 comments:

Lisa J. said...

Very nice Marly: I like how you shifted the piece a little in the background and the leaves are a nice uplifting touch.

Christine B. said...

Beautiful piece Marly! I really like the 3D leaves. Christine x

patty a. said...

What an interesting twist for a Chinese coin quilt! It's a lovely finish!

Gina said...

This is great. I loved the thought process behind it too xx

Mystic Quilter said...

You have a wonderful CC interpretation there Marly. It's so good to see the leaves now stitched down and the the "floaters", super idea.

Monica said...

It turned out beautifully, Marly! I love your background fabrics, and the skinny tree is just right. Great job!

PaulaB quilts said...

Every element of the quilt contributes to the overall lovely impression. It would be lacking without the loose leaves or the shadings of the batiks. I like it because it is carefully done, is sort of minimal in design and yet says a whole story.

Ruth said...

Lovely, great idea with the leaves!

Kaja said...

This has worked so well - the 3d leaves are perfect and the whole piece has a very simple elegance. Thanks for linking it up with AHIQ - it's so interesting to look at all the different ways this challenge has been interpreted.

Ann said...

As a geologist I love the idea of magma but your tree is much more beautiful. Double sided leaves - another fantastic idea. Your quilt came together so well. Perfect little wallhanging. Thanks for working with Chinese Coins and linking this delightful finish. I love that you pieced and appliqued on top of the Coins to make a very unique finish.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Absolutely LOVE it, Marly!!!