Saturday 1 April 2017

Marching through red


March's colour in the RSC was red, and I've been "seeing red" all month without getting angry!

These red nine-patches are from 2" strips, mostly left from Bonnie Hunter's 2015 mystery Aliatare augmented with a few more recent acquisitions. 

Next up are leader and ender hour-glass blocks, also made using 2" strips and cut with the companion angle triangle.


A couple of weeks ago I described the fun I was having making slab blocks using really tiny pieces. Well, here they are again with some larger pieces, layered and quilted ready to be trimmed and then transformed into a scrap basket. 


Not entirely red, but a quilted basket needs contrast, doesn't it? 

I followed a tutorial form Fiona at Bubz Rugz, but while she only took an hour to make hers, I've taken the best part of two weeks and I still haven't finished! Partly because while she appears to have used squares and rectangles, I started with odd shapes. In addition I don't think I've spent more than ten minutes each day at my sewing machine in the last three weeks.

Lastly the Jacob's Ladder blocks have not incresed in the last two weeks; they are as they were in my last post. Thanks to Chantal I now have the correct name though: Hovering Hawk. 
Hovering Hawk
Thank you Chantal! Thank you too to everyone who made a suggestion about the name; you were all pretty close, usually with just a slight difference in the orientation of the small triangles.

Saturday I'll be linking up to

 SoScrappy
 Click on the button to see more red fun.

Happy sewing

Marly.

12 comments:

Chantal said...

What a delectable red post. Full of little beauties. Love it. I want to make Fiona's scrap basket too but haven't started one yet. You are encouraging me this morning. Oh! and you are welcome. Happy I could help. Hope you can find more time to sew in the coming weeks. ;^)

Ariane said...

All your blocks look great!!

Ivani said...

Great use of small pieces for the slab blocks, Marly. I'll be looking forward to see the baskets.
You made beautiful blocks this week.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Great reds!!! Love that you saw them without getting mad - too funny!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Looking forward to seeing your RED scrap basket come together. I wouldn't worry about taking 2 weeks for the piece to come together, as my patriotic basket has taken more than a month!!

Christine B said...

Beautiful red blocks and projects! The scrap basket piece looks a lot of fun and I am sure it will be finished quickly now! Christine x

Nell's Quilts said...

The hovering hawk blocks are quite spectaculalr. Lots of gread red fun this month. The neutral and red hourglass blocks have such nice variety of reds. Glad the red made you happy not mad.

Alison V. said...

I love your nine patches and hourglasses! Classic blocks are always a good choice in my book.

PaulaB quilts said...

A scrap basket made with scraps. It's variety of shapes will be fun to see as you turn it around. Can't wait to see it. The 9-patch blocks have a nice variety in them also. Keep up the good work!

LA Paylor said...

love odd shapes! So much more interesting no? Jacob's ladder is such a beautiful block. One of the first I learned in a quilt as you go class. LeeAnna

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I too love your improv piece, that's where you get to just play. But all the reds are beautiful and your leaders/enders are coming together so well.

Kaja said...

It definitely takes long if you use all the odd-shaped scraps but I like how it looks.