Friday, 4 August 2017

Star Light, Star Dark finished





This is my variation of Star Light, Star Dark from the QAL at Quilty Habit last summer.  The challenge was to use only three colours, six or seven fabrics in light tones and six or seven in dark.
I finished the piecing quite quickly, but when I got to that point I still hadn't decided on the quilting designs. The only thing I was clear about was that it needed doing in two halves to be joined later. (On 1 October last year I showed this in more detail)

I started with the dark half and tried to use a different quilting motif in each section. Each section has six or seven different fabrics and I wanted to use a different motif on each.

The centre star (yellow) was done with the walking foot, and having only half a quilt to turn the whole time was a Godsend.
square stippling in the big star; dot-to-dot from Angels Walters surrounding it; orange peel shapes in the centre of the friendship star; stippling surrounding it; baptist fan centre right; vine with leaves top left
The green section went OK too, though admittedly with a few wobbles. Then I tried doing feathers in the large dark purple star. What a disaster! I just can't backtrack, so there was such a build up of thread along the spine of the feathers I thought, "this bird would never get off the ground!"

Then I decided that there was only one thing for it - unpicking all the feathers - which took me every evening for a week. Then I tried swirls, after all I would only have to follow the motif of the print. No! What a mess! Fortunately this time I decided after just a couple of minutes that it had to go. Out it all came! Totally disheartened by my failures in the dark half of the quilt I moved onto the light section until I got distracted by Bonnie Hunter's Mystery quilt. That was in November! That was how it stayed for more than half a year.

Matrix rays from Leah Day in the big star; dot to dot from Angela Walters surrounding it; McTavishing top left
Until two weeks ago when I thought of Leah Day and all her online FMQ videos. That dark purple fabric wouldn't stand another unpicking session so I needed something simple and foolproof. I chose Matrix Rays, and the quilting was finished in no time. All that remained was to join the two halves and then a lot of hand sewing to cover the join on the back, and to sew down the binding.

Square Flower from Lori Kennedy in the centre of the dark purple friendship star
I was pleased with how this square flower turned out. I quilted square flowers in all three purple Friendship Stars, but this one turned out best. In the green F.Stars I quilted orange peels, and in the yellow spirals.


McTavishing in the big star; fantasy leaves surrounding it; more McTavishing in the freehand drawn heart (!!); string of beads bottom left (from Pinterest: origin unknown)
In the light purple block I used more McTavishing;  I used this quilting style three times in this quilt. So much for using a different motif on each fabric. I really found it hard to come up with enough quilting motifs.

Fabric: assorted fat quarters and scraps
Thread: Aurifil 40 wt. in matching colours
Wadding: cotton as supplied at my LQS
Size: 1.75m x 1.27m (69" x 50")
Finally one more photo to show why all the photos were taken indoors this afternoon.


I draped it artistically over the bench, took two steps back and took a photo just as the wind caught it. As I live on the ninth floor I didn't want the wind carrying it away altogether: I'd never catch up with it!

I'm linking up to

https://kathyskwiltsandmore.blogspot.nl/2017/08/tgiff-august-4th.html
so go over there and see more of this week's finishes.

Happy sewing

Marly.

6 comments:

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This quilt looks great. The limited colour palette is really effective and I love the way you've quilted it :)

Lisa J. said...

You did a great job with the quilting and I'm sure you learned a lot by using so many motifs. I really like the square flower.

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

I really enjoyed taking a good look at your quilting, you are better than you think and I only wish I was up to your level of skill. Very well done, it was well worth taking your time.

Chantal L. said...

Sorry to hear about all the unpicking but all those evenings were well spent because it is awesome now. I so love all the different quilting motifs you used. You do an excellent job with your domestic machine. Congratulations on this fabulous finish. ;^)

Kathy S. said...

Oh Marly, what a gorgeous finish! I clicked on the picture in my feed because I remembered that QA and liked your colors. What a surprise when I got to see all the details of the quilting in this post! I love that you explained what technique and where you got it. Beautifully done!

Vireya said...

The quilting looks great! Unpicking the feathers must have been a pain, but the end result is beautiful.